Housing & Weatherization Program


Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Approved Housing Counseling Agency: The Frederick Community Action Agency (FCAA) is a HUD-Approved Housing Counseling Agency and provides pre-purchase, default, reverse mortgage, and rental counseling as well as homebuyer education classes for first-time homebuyers. FCAA Housing Counselors also administer the State-funded Community Partners Incentive Program and the House Keys for Employees of the City of Frederick - both programs provide down-payment assistance to first-time homebuyers.

Home Energy Programs: Through the State’s Office of Home Energy Programs, FCAA can help support your needs paying heating and electric bills. Grants do not need to be paid back and vary by income level and fuel type. Learn more

Beginning August 3, 2020, The Frederick Community Action Agency is pleased to announce that their Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP) will be administering Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) CARES funding to assist Frederick City residents with utility emergencies due to COVID-19. In order to be eligible for CDBG CARES funding you:

  1. Must be a City of Frederick resident
  2. Must be financially impacted by COVID-19
  3. Must complete the OHEP application and provide all required documents
  4. Must be under the Household Income Guidelines - The Household Income Limit for the CDBG CARES funds are higher than the Income Limits for the OHEP program

OHEP applications can be completed online at mydhrbenefits.dhr.state.md.us; printed out an application at dhs.maryland.gov/office-of-home-energy-programs. Paper applications can be mailed to PO Box 3929 Frederick, MD 21705, faxed to 301-600-2690 or emailed to ohep@cityoffrederickmd.gov. A document drop-off box is also located outside the interior office door at 420 East Patrick Street.  

Required documentation needed to complete the OHEP application

  1. Completed and signed application listing everyone that resides in the Household
  2. Copy of photo ID for the applicant
  3. Copy of Social Security Cards for everyone in the home
  4. Proof of income for 30 days for everyone in the home- this includes unemployment, Social Security, etc.
  5. Proof of Residency- lease or mortgage statement
  6. Copy of electric and heating bills

 For more information on OHEP or CDBG Cares program eligibility or to receive an application for assistance, please call 301-600-2410.

Weatherization Assistance Program: The Weatherization Assistance Program provides home weatherization services for income-eligible households living in Frederick County. Households eligible for weatherization must have incomes at or below 200% of the federal poverty level and meet other criteria. The family may rent or own their home, but renters must obtain landlord permission. Access the following documents for more information:

Bay Restoration Fee Exemption Program: The Bay Restoration Fee Exemption Program allows lower-income homeowners and renters that are paying a City of Frederick water and sewer bill to request an exemption from the Bay Restoration Fee, which collects funds for the environmental restoration of the Chesapeake Bay.

Housing First Program: The Housing First Program provides subsidized permanent housing to people who need it the most – chronically homeless, disabled individuals who are literally living on the streets of Frederick. With funding from HUD and other sources, the FCAA has established 23 scattered-site Housing First units that house 29 different individuals; supportive services like case management and primary health care are provided by FCAA staff. More units are planned for the future.