Coordinate City Logistics - Develop a Marketing Strategy - Host a Grand Opening
Coordinate City Logistics
- Garbage Service - The City’s Department of Public Works provides curbside trash pickup. To find out the route schedule for your area, contact Department of Public Works at 301-600-1377 or visit the Department of Public Works page.
- Parking - Businesses may purchase Park and Shop tickets at a discounted price to give to their customers to assist with the cost of parking in the 5 public garages. For more detailed information or questions about parking-related issues, contact the City’s Parking Department at 301-600-1429 or visit the parking website
- Sidewalk Maintenance and Snow Removal - Sidewalk maintenance and removal of snow from the sidewalks is the responsibility of the property owner or tenant depending on the terms of the lease. Call 301-600-1680 with questions or for more information.
Develop Your Workforce
Finding and retaining employees is an integral part of the success of any business. Workforce considerations should include area demographics, local wage trends, and availability of relevant training. It’s important to identify workforce requirements and develop job descriptions that will allow the organization to achieve short and long term goals.
Local Resources for Workforce Development
- Frederick County Workforce Services – Assistance with employee recruitment and training, visit the Frederick Works website or call 301-600-2255
- Free Postings to Local Job Boards- Frederick County Workforce Services, Downtown Frederick Partnership, TechFrederick
- Frederick Community College Customized Training - Customized training for businesses, visit the Community College website or call 301-846-2404
- Local Colleges – Frederick Community College, Hood College, Mount Saint Mary’s University, and the University of Maryland system
Develop a Marketing Strategy
A clear marketing strategy is critical to spreading the word about your new business and for attracting clients and customers. Small Business Development Center courses and Score: Frederick mentors can help you hone your marketing skills and determine the best route to take.
- Embrace Social Media
- Register with Online Listing Services
- Create a Website
- In our digital world, websites have become a staple piece of marketing. How much you choose to invest depends on your own model - but you can create one as cheap as free.
- Engage with Local Promotional Organizations
- Submit a Press Release
- A grand opening is a great opportunity to take advantage of the City/County’s free press release service: PR Frederick. PR Frederick is a complimentary service valued at $250 per release and distributes news to a directory accessed by over 30,000 journalists and bloggers.
Host a Grand Opening
A special event or ribbon cutting ceremony can be a great way to celebrate the launch of your business and introduce yourself to the community.
Both the Frederick County Chamber of Commerce and Downtown Frederick Partnership offer assistance maximizing the buzz around your ribbon cutting event– helping coordinating with elected officials, business networks, and media contacts, and are more than happy to see you use their giant scissors.
If you choose to organize an event independently, you may request that the Mayor to attend.